Hey – let’s make a pact.
It’s time to stop with the toilet paper memes, Clorox baby photoshoots, and hoarding jokes. Instead, let’s choose to only highlight the positive things going on right now.
Give a shout out to the person offering to pick up groceries and deliver them to strangers. Support the small businesses whose dining rooms and doors are closed but hearts are full. Share the free content that people have created to keep kids happy, educated, and entertained.
We would like to take the time to recognize some businesses and individuals that we’ve seen making a difference in our community:
Supporting our Friends in the Service Industry
Supporting Our Vulnerable Populations
- Champions Premier Barber Shop is offering free disinfectant and delivery for vulnerable members of our community. DM them for details.
Feeding and Entertaining the Whole Family
Supporting our First Responders and Hospital Staff
How can you make a difference? Our community needs us now more than ever.
- The “I Heart Chester County” GoFundMe is collecting donations that will be used to purchase gift cards from area restaurants, which will be gifted to the Good Fellowship EMS and the Human Resource Department at the Chester County Hospital. They’ve already collected over $2,000 in two weeks.
- A few neighbors wanted to make sure our hardworking hospital staff members were well-fed. It grew so popular that they made a Facebook group to organize round-the-clock meals for staff working in the COVID-19 unit.
- Nonprofits rely heavily on proceeds from spring fundraising events to make their fiscal budgets. Consider making a donation to your family’s favorite, local organization or the Chester County Community Foundation’s COVID-19 Rapid Response Fund.
- If you need supplies, skip the big box stores and shop small online and locally (like groceries through Artisan Exchange, Culture Factory, Highland Orchards, or Slow Hand WC).
- Order takeout or catering from the local restaurants. The Feed Us West Chester, PA & Surrounding Areas Facebook Group offers daily updates of local eateries open for pick-up and delivery.
- Buy gift certificates for hair, nail, massage, or your favorite services to be used in the future.
- Even if you’re on a tight budget, you can still help a local business: leave a positive review, sign up for their newsletter, or keep sharing their social media posts.
- The Red Cross has an urgent need for healthy blood donors. Make an appointment here.
- Get updates from reliable sources: Mayor Herrin, Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization, Chesco Health Department.
- If you don’t need to go out, please stay home.
We invite you to channel your inner Mr. Rogers, “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'” Now is the time to build each other up, not tear each other down.