There is a Chinese saying that goes: “If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody.”
Now more than ever, our friends and neighbors need our help after this roller coaster year. Before we close the book on this year, let’s spread happiness to those who need it most. We’ve rounded up local charities that are hosting holiday gift and clothing drives.
CHESTERBROOK ACADEMY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CLOTHING DRIVE
Chesterbrook Academy will be hosting a clothing drive on Saturday, December 5 from 7:30 – 11:00 a.m. at 1190 McDermott Dr, West Chester, PA 19380. The school will get money for every bag donated, as the organization will recycle all the donations to areas of need.
Adult and Children Clothing, Shoes, Handbags, Purses, Sandals, Sneakers, Boots, Jackets, Coats, Rain Gear, Leathers, Belts, Ties, Pants, Shirts, Sweaters, Vests, Blouses, Dresses, Skirts, Robes, Undergarments, Sheets, Pillowcases, Towels, Linens, Tablecloths, Hats, Scarfs, Gloves, Wallets, Jewelry, Watches, Uniforms, Jerseys, Backpacks, New Diapers and NOW ACCEPTING Household Items, Utensils, Hard & Soft Toys, Electronics, and Small Bric-A-Brac Items.
Delaware County Veterans Memorial Association holiday drive
The Delaware County Veterans Memorial Association will host a drive-thru donation drop-off on Saturday, December 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Donations will be collected for local food banks, Toys for Tots, and Goodwill. Volunteers on-site to help with drop off. 4599 W Chester Pike Newtown Square, PA 19073.
ANDREW L. HICKS, JR. FOUNDATION CHRISTMAS TOY STORE
From November 10 – December 7, the Foundation will be collecting new and unwrapped toys (for ages pre-k through 6th grade) for their Christmas Toy Store in Chester.
- Hicks Residents: 914 Kenmara Dr., West Chester, Pa. 19380
- Arbuckle Residents: 1170 Arrowhead Dr. West Chester, PA. 19382
- Penn’s Table: 100 W. Gay St. West Chester, PA 19382
- McSwain Residents: 804 North New St. West Chester, PA 19380
- Tooke Residents: 517 Susan Dr. West Chester, PA
- Henderson High School: Ms. Wagner’s Room
BRYN MAWR TRUST TOY DRIVE
BMT Bank is hosting a toy drive on Saturday, December 5 from 12:30 – 2:00 p.m.
All toys collected will be delivered to Cradles for Crayons, which serves children under 12 living in homeless or low-income situations in our local communities. When arriving, please remain in your vehicle and wear your mask.
SUGGESTED TOYS: Books, games (12 and under), bikes, trikes, and scooters, puzzles, sports equipment, art, jewelry and craft kits, building sets and legos, stuffed animals, and action figures / dolls.
BRIDGE OF HOPE
Bridge of Hope brings together professional staff and trained church-based mentoring groups to empower homeless and at-risk single mothers to attain: permanent housing, financial stability through employment, life-changing friendships, and increased self-esteem and growth in areas of holistic living.
- They are currently collecting gift cards, so parents can pick out Christmas gifts for their kids. Bridge of Hope is currently looking for:
- 24 gift cards of $25 each from Walmart or Target (these will be used to purchase one toy, one pair of pajamas, and one game per child)
- 16 gift cards of $25 or $50 each for parents to purchase Christmas gifts for their children
- 15 gift cards for meal purchases of $25 each for Giant, Acme, or Wegmans
- 10 gift cards of $25 from Wawa as gifts of gas purchases for parents in Bridge of Hope
- 5 gift cards as presents for parents – VISA, Amazon or Discover gift cards (use your points); suggested donation of $50 to $100.
LIMONCELLO'S 2020 TOYS FOR TOTS DRIVE
Every child deserves a little Christmas, and despite CDC restrictions, Limoncello will do all we can to provide one for local children in need. Please consider participating in their Drive and Drop on Saturday, December 13, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. at either West Chester or Chester Springs locations.
The process is simple, and as a thank you on behalf of the Limoncello team, they’d like to offer a family-style meal in return to anyone donating 5 toys or more. Find more details and wish list here.
THE NOWAK HOLIDAY LIGHTS DISPLAY
We all need some Christmas spirit this year! Please drive by the display of the display of 20,000+ lights and 24 inflatables from 5-10 p.m., starting on Thanksgiving and ending on New Year’s Eve. If you are able to, please place a new and unwrapped toy in the designated bin. They will be benefiting Chester County’s Toys For Tots. 1590 Wineberry Ln, West Chester, PA 19380
Operation Elves’ mission is to bring joy to those struggling families, people who don’t qualify for assistance or have fallen on hard times, by helping to provide gifts for their children- because EVERY child deserves a happy holiday!
TOYS FOR TOTS
Toys For Tots is a program run by the United States Marine Corps Reserve which distributes toys to children whose parents cannot afford to buy them gifts for Christmas. Drop off a new, unwrapped toy at one of these drop-off sites.
WSFS BANK AND THE GREATER WEST CHESTER CHAMBER CHRISTMAS TOY DRIVE
The Greater West Chester Chamber of Commerce (GWCC) and WSFS Bank are teaming up once again to host the ninth annual Holiday Toy Drive sponsored by WSFS Bank. A dozen Chester County WSFS Bank locations will collect toys for local children in need from Monday, November 16, 2020 through Saturday, December 5, 2020.
This year’s Toy Drive donations will go to Maternal and Child Health Consortium, Good Samaritan Services, and the Westside Community Center, three non-profit organizations dedicated to helping local children and families in Chester County. Find community wish lists and drop off locations here.
Adopt a family
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CENTER OF CHESTER COUNTY
Since 2004, dedicated donors and volunteers of DVCCC have joined forces through the Adopt a Family program to make the holidays brighter for survivors who are overburdened, financially, as they work toward freeing themselves from the cycle of violence.
To make a difference in a participant’s holiday, here is how you can help:
- From single adults to families with kids and pets, wish lists will be received from those currently supported by DVCCC services. Suggested giving is 6-10 gifts or approximately $150 per individual to be fair to all those supported by the program.
- If you would rather give generically, age-specific gifts and gift cards are greatly welcomed for clients.
- If you enjoy last minute shopping, for those clients who may require their services closer to the holidays, get an item or two on their list as well as appropriate gifts from open giving donations.
- If you have a few hours and want to get hands-on with program activities, volunteers are also needed to help with the collection and distribution of gifts.
If you have any questions regarding the Adopt a Family program, contact Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAMILY SERVICE OF CHESTER COUNTY
Family Service of Chester County promotes the well being of families and individuals and to advocate for change. Let them know the number of children you would like to provide gifts. Please contact Amy DeFonzo at email@example.com for a wish list that typically includes 2-3 toys and 1-2 items of clothing.
Adopt a Veteran
- 214 Fox Run Exton PA 19341
- 1782 Jefferson Downs WC 19380
HOME OF THE SPARROW
Home of the Sparrow partners with women facing homelessness to secure housing, achieve long-term stability, and chart new paths for their futures. Did you know that government assistance does not cover the necessary household items?
For Giving Tuesday, they are collecting paper towels, toilet paper, tissues, feminine hygiene products, cleaning products, laundry and dish detergent, soap, shampoo, conditioner, and store gift cards.
Drop items by Tuesday, 12/1 at 969 E Swedesford Rd. in Exton. Contact Darla Nutter to schedule your drop off, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 610-647-4940. Contact email@example.com to hold a drive.
Did we miss anyone? Comment below!