Parenting is about learning on the job. We’ve put together a list of our guests’ favorite books and resources on pregnancy, the 4th trimester, newborn and infant care.
On Pregnancy and Postpartum Care
- “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” – Hedi Murkoff
- The Baby Center App
- The What to Expect App
- The Baby Center
- “And Baby Makes Three” – John Gottman
- “Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: The Complete Guide” – Penny Simkin
- Ask Dr. Sears is intended to help parents become better informed consumers of health care.
- Postpartum Support International: The purpose of the organization is to increase awareness among public and professional communities about the emotional changes that women experience during pregnancy and postpartum.
- First Time Dads Podcast: Two first time dads – Daily Mirror journalists Richard Innes and Steve Myall – discuss the joys, challenges, and general lunacy of raising your first child and supporting a first-time mum.
- “The Postpartum Husband: Practical Solutions for Living with Postpartum Depression” – Karen Klein
- “Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads” – Gary Greenberg and Jeannie Hayden
- Padre Cadre: Padre Cadre is designed to help dads out by responding to two of the most common issues that fathers face: a lack of information specifically for dads and the tendency for new dads’ worlds to shrink down to just work and family.
On The First Year
- “When We Became Three: A Memory Book for the Modern Family“
- “What to Expect the First Year” – Hedi Murkoff
- “The Happiest Baby on the Block; Fully Revised and Updated Second Edition: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer” – Harvey Karp
- “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child” – Marc Weissbluth M.D.
- “Baby 411: Your Baby, Birth to Age 1! Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask about your newborn!” – Ari Brown
On The Toddler Years and Beyond
- “Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, 7th Edition: Birth to Age 5” – American Academy of Pediatrics
- “The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind” – Daniel Siegel
- “Healthy Child Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home” – Christopher Gavigan
- “Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler” – Ari Brown
On Potty and Sleep Training
- “Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right” – Jamie Glowacki
- The Baby Sleep Site: There’s a lot of good if you want schedules and charts and, you know, explanations of the four-month sleep regression, I think that’s a really great resource
- The Good Night, Sleep Tight Workbook: Gentle Proven Solutions to Help Your Child Sleep Well and Wake Up Happy” – Katie Holloran and Kim West
For Raising World Children
- Raising World Children: The online resource was created for parents, featuring over 100 writers has quickly grown to be a global platform featured on various parenting sites and news networks.
- Multicultural Kid Blogs: For families and educators raising world citizens, through arts, activities, crafts, food, language, and love.
- Are Those Your Kids: A website dedicated to raising biracial kids in today’s world.